Birthday Cake: 30 things I learned by 30
Two years ago when I first started this blog, I was just turning 28-years-old. One of my first few posts included an entry titled "28 Lessons I've Learned in my 20s."
Today as I enter a completely new decade, the BIG 3-0, I decided to revamp that entry and provide a listicle of 30 things I've learned by 30 - because who knew you could gain so much more wisdom in just two years.
These lessons are based on my personal experiences, but I'm sure these can be applied to anyone's life.
1. The Sun can't shine in the shade, a Bird can't fly in a cage - Never allow people to keep you boxed in based on their version of you. You can't grow that way.
2. Forgiveness doesn't mean reconciliation - Just because you forgive someone or vice versa, doesn't mean it'll go back to the way that it once was, and that's ok.
3. What's meant for you will always make room for you - It doesn't matter if five million people are in the same field as you, if you're great at what you do, it's a passion and you work at it long enough, space will be available for you regardless. Your sauce is a completely different recipe. They aren't you and you aren't them.
4. Authenticity is one of the highest truths we can spread - Sometimes we try to alter who we truly are based on what the world says. People love when you're real. That fake "I have my entire life together" persona is so dead. Just be you and the people meant to be in your life will appreciate it.
5. Comparison is one gateway to depression - I'm so over that comparison game. We've all done it so don't lie, Lol. I may not be exactly where I want to be right now, but I honestly love my life. I have everything I need and I am genuinely happy. Stop comparing yourself to people who are just making breaks, you don't know what those people went through/did to get there. Highlight reels are just that, the highlights. Don't be fooled.
6. People will believe a negative about you before a positive - It's crazy to me that negative commentary spreads quicker than a fire, but the real truth/goodness about someone stings like a bee. Make it make sense.
7. Misery loves company - I hate to be cliche, but this is gospel. Do Not Participate!!
8. Patience is the gateway to a better outcome - We rush the process and end up firecracker hot when it doesn't turn out the way we thought it would. Be patient, you'll thank yourself later.
9. We are not the same - People have to learn that everyone is different. We all think differently, we all come from different backgrounds, etc. Just because someone has a different perspective doesn't mean that the person is wrong.
10. Humbleness is a great teacher - When you start to go upward, don't get on that high-horse. The quicker you go up is the same speed limit for you to get knocked down. Be confident and humble.
11. Ignorance doesn't have a color
12. More money doesn't mean they're smarter
13. Your two biggest fans are God and your Mama - Because who knows what I'd do without either. *Disclaimer - my dad cheers me on as well *inserts smiling emoji*
14. Health truly is wealth - Slow down and take care of yourself. You have one body so take care of it - mentally, physically and spiritually.
15. A grateful heart will always succeed in life
16. Integrity goes a long way - Do the right thing when people aren't looking.
17. When you welcome adversity, you're more likely to not fold under pressure - Bad things are going to happen in your life. It's a matter of when not if. And when those times come, you have to embrace that truth that this is actually happening to you. First step in the healing process is acceptance.
18. Embracing change will help you grow - I struggled with this one in my 20s. Change made me uncomfortable, but I had to learn that being uncomfortable is a great thing!
19. Quality over quantity - More isn't necessarily better.
20. Disappointment is usually the result of unmet expectations
21. Preparation is never time wasted - Have faith and prepare simultaneously. Sometimes we could've been further along if we had simply prepared in advance.
22. Seek the advice of wise people only
23. Enjoy life while you are here - Death too close to home will teach you to put some pep in your step. None of us know when it's our time so take advantage of all the goodness life has to offer.
24. Don't ponder over your mistakes for too long - The past is a lesson not a prison.
25. Everyone won't get you and that's ok
26. No one else can create your happiness for you - You have to work through your own insecurities and embrace your true self before you can be truly happy.
27. The people you start with will not always be the same people you end with
28. Your team really does matter - Build a community of support around you. The higher we go, the harder it is to find genuine people. Make sure your team is solid because you simply can't do life on your own, and that's facts!
29. Stand up for yourself and don't waste your talent - At some point you have to know that you deserve more and take a risk. Stand your ground, even if it's scary and you want to melt to the bottom of the floor.
30. God is Love and Love always wins!