28 Lessons I've Learned in my 20s
Updated: Aug 19, 2018
Since my blog is based on learned-experiences during my 20s and the continuing journey, I’ve decided to share some of these transparent lessons with my readers - some of which I'm still fighting to conquer through, by the way. Coming from one of my first email topic requests: “If I knew what I know now, what would I tell my 18-year-old self?" - Here are 28 lessons I’ve learned so far during this decade:
1. Don’t allow people to box you in to the way they perceive you to be.
2. Listen to your spirit; if you initially feel a way, most likely it’s true. Energy doesn't lie #YouKnowWhatsUp.
3. If you commit to something, then stick to your word. If you’re overloaded, then say NO from the beginning.
4. If no one else does, Believe in yourself - you can literally achieve anything you set your mind to accomplish with the addition of hard work.
5. A true friend is loyal and honest, picks you up when fallen, defends you when you're not around, supports your efforts, encourages your dreams and most importantly hears your heart.
6. Don't take anything personally; it’s the segue to disappointment.
7. Until you face your fears head-on, you'll keep repeating the same scenarios, but in different situations.
8. Accept responsibility for your actions. Healing begins when you’ve addressed the root of an issue/problem.
9. Focus on your own lane; comparing yourself to others is a waste of precious time and energy. Remember, the Jones’ aren’t always who they’re perceived to be #DoYou.
10. It’s okay to be a little selfish with your time; the single/baby free years are only once #EnjoyItNow #AppreciateFreedom.
11. Mental health is important; seek help when needed and prior to a situation spiraling completely out of control.
12. If you feel someone hurt you, tell them how they made you feel. It’s courageous to be vulnerable sometimes; it’s actually a sign of strength. Don’t hold grudges; no one has time for that #Release.
13. No one owes you anything, not even your parents #BeGrateful.
14. Sometimes you have to do things you simply don’t want to do - whining will not change a thing #ThatsLife.
15. If you fail the first time, that's great, you tried – apply the knowledge gained, try again from a new angle and succeed the second time around. And if that doesn't work, try again!
16. Be fully present and cherish the season you’re currently in with loved ones and friends – those times won’t last forever.
17. Everyone can’t go with you to the next level; it’s a harsh reality, but true and often necessary.*Waves Hands* #ByeFelicia #ByeTyrone #ByeKeKe
18. Perspective is everything – don’t be so rigid to where you can’t see another person’s point-of-view. Real growth is when you can see that it’s not always the other person – sometimes it’s you #SelfReflectionIsKey.
19. Forgive and find peace in gratitude - that's the only way to move forward.
20. Weaknesses are merely great opportunities for growth.
21. Love yourself and all of your “flaws” - be confident and own who you are!
22. Eat clean foods often, exercise regularly, try to sleep well and drink water like a fish – you only have one body, take care of it.
23. You do not have to be friends with your friends’ friends! If you don’t vibe with someone, then you just don’t vibe! Don't force a thing if it doesn't fit #ItsThatSimple.
24. Demonstrate integrity, practice humbleness and be a giver in all aspects. Honorable character is having the ability to remove self out of the way in-order to shine light onto others #ItWillReturnToYou.
25. When it comes to constructive criticism, understand the difference between someone who is trying to devalue you vs. someone genuinely looking out for your best interest.
26. Death is a part of this beautiful journey – don’t push it back subconsciously; acknowledge what happened in-order to grieve properly. It’s okay to cry #LetItOut.
27. Pick your battles wisely and preserve your energy. Every situation doesn't require a reaction and proving that you're right doesn't always make it right #LetItGo!
28. Take a deep breath and calm down. Have faith in God and it will all work out just fine. No matter your situation or how far you’ve gotten off track, Love heals all and God is Love!
There are several lessons (some not mentioned) that I’ve learned in this short time of mine. I’m a forever growing woman with many more lessons on the horizon. I’m an indefinite work-in-progress with a huge heart for people. This week, I pray sharing some of my lessons will help guide you too (even if you’re not in your 20s). Because sometimes we all need a little reminder that we’re in this thing together.
Sending love and positive vibes your way! Yvonne Camille